- Do you believe that your life is over?
- Do you believe that you will never be healthy again?
- Do you believe that you will always be ill?
- Do you believe that your body will always be in pain?
- Do you believe that no matter how hard you try that you will still get sick?
- Do you believe that food will never taste good again?
- Do you believe you are missing out on life?
- Do you believe that you will never be happy again?
- Do you believe that you are alone?
- Do you believe that it can’t get better?
- Do you believe that you will never get a hold of what is going on with your body?
- Do you believe you just can’t handle one more complication?
- Do you believe that all occasions and the holidays that resolves around food are a nightmare?
As someone who grew up always being overweight, I learned very early on that in order to survive the looks, comments, and being picked on in school - that I needed to develop a coping mechanism that included disconnecting from my body. I can actually remember thinking I am not my body, I am so much more than that. But unfortunately, first impressions and first looks causes everyone to form an opinion of who people thought I was. We do it every day, we judge people without even thinking about it.
In today’s society so much is based on how a person looks. We have all been trying to measure up to what the magazines, tv, movies and internet describe as beautiful. And for me, beautiful was something out there, something completely unattainable and something that I secretly strived to be.
I spent most of my life on a never-ending diet that never worked. And, truly that only caused me to push further and further away from my body and completely disconnect from the image in the mirror. And, disconnect from the pain of being a constant disappointment to myself.Read More